Grapes and Raisins
Sweet as they sound
Taste can be deadly
to my precious doggie.
I blame myself
for not throwing away that bag of muesli
thinking that could be a breakfast treat
not knowing the harm it now caused.
He looks depressed
walks and not run
took me weeks before I realized.
My Toby is very sick
but a little bit of good news
his blood test did not show
any permanent harm.
I can only pray
my Toby will get well soon
I love you too much
please stay with me.
I know my Toby is a strong boy.
He will not let Mummy cry.
How Toxic Are Grapes for Dogs?
The amount of grapes or raisins that can hurt a dog can vary by the dog’s weight. Raisins are more concentrated, so it takes fewer of them to cause problems.
According to Small Animal Toxicology, by Michael E. Peterson, DVM, MS, and Patricia A. Talcott, MS, DVM, PhD, DipABVT, there’s a way to get a rough estimate of the toxic amount of grapes or raisins for a dog.
- Grapes: They report that dangerous doses begin at about 0.18 ounces of grapes per pound of dog weight. That’s 1.8 ounces (one or two grapes) for a 10-pound dog, and 3.6 ounces (three or four grapes) for a 20-pound dog.
- Raisins: About 0.07 ounces of raisins per pound of dog weight may be toxic. In real terms, that’s a mere 0.7 ounces of raisins for a 10-pound dog, and 1.4 ounces for a 20-pound dog.
But some researchers say the amount of grapes/raisins eaten may not have any bearing on how much harm is caused to your pet. In their report “Grape and Raisin Toxicity in Dogs,” Michelle Savigny, DVM, and Douglass K. Macintire, DVM, DACVIM, DACVECC, of Auburn University discuss how a border collie ate a whole 16-ounce box of raisins and lived, yet a Labrador retriever (a larger dog) died after eating a slightly larger box of raisins.